The Building Better Opportunities programme is jointly funded by the European Social Fund and the Big Lottery Fund to tackle the root causes of poverty, promote social inclusion and drive local jobs and growth. The programme is delivered in 38 Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) areas according to local priorities.
The project helps those furthest away from employment gain the skills and experience they need to get into work. BBO Shropshire works with people 19+ years across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin who are experiencing multiple barriers, resulting in social exclusion. The project aims to help participants gain skills and develop confidence through intensive personalised support to equip them with the abilities needed to move forwards and into employment. It will also provide access to a wide and diverse range of volunteering opportunities, enabling more disadvantaged people to move into further education or training having acquired basic skills, increased confidence and motivation through participation in project activities.
Participants can self refer or be referred by the Job Centre or other agencies. Contact BBO Employability Officer Deborah Spiers for more information on 01948 258220 or email email@example.com
- One-to-one support – helping to set up email, register on recruitment websites and explore opportunities.
- Support to build personal confidence/self-esteem, develop communication skills and address barriers to getting into work.
- Social inclusion and volunteering opportunities – gardening and Walking for Health/work experience to improve social and communication skills and development of daily routines.
- CV writing workshops and skills analysis.
- Liaison with employers to support people in work.
- Mock interviews – to help overcome phobias and anxieties and prepare for effective interviews.
- Job searching and application support – access to laptops and help completing job applications.
- Signposting/referring to external training and support programmes.
Our person-centred support is designed to meet individual needs in a friendly and encouraging environment.
We cover Whitchurch and surrounding area of North Shropshire, including Prees and Tilstock. To be eligible you must be 19+, on active benefits and not in paid work or you must be economically inactive.
Changing lives with BBO
We are changing lives at the Beechtree on our innovative BBO programme. We have supported people into training, volunteering and employment. From a car valet to a forklift driver, a care assistant and a door supervisor, the world of work is full of opportunities in north Shropshire. With encouragement and an open minded approach, we identify and match transferable skills and these are just four of the roles we were able to fill.
We supported six people into the security industry via training provider ESP Solutions. With bursary funding, they were able to train and get their SIA licence and are all employed.
Our first trainee, Kevin works full-time and is a “credit to the industry”. He is glad to be working in his chosen career and able to provide for his family. He enjoys the variety of work and the opportunities to travel.
Security work is not for everyone but it is “a job for life” as this is one industry sector that is thriving despite the recent pandemic as the role has expanded to include “space marshalling”.
To find out more please contact our Employability Officer, Debbie Spiers on 01948 258220 or email firstname.lastname@example.org